Dec 3, 2008

It's that "most wonderful time of the year" time

From the New York Daily News: A Walmart employee was trampled to death at a Long Island, New York Walmart as he was attempting to open the doors of the store this morning to allow Black Friday shoppers to enter.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

“He was bum-rushed by 200 people,” said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. “They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too…I literally had to fight people off my back.”

Nassau County Police are still investigating and would not confirm the witness accounts. Police did say there were several injuries but weren’t more specific.

The article also mentions that a pregnant woman at the same store was trampled and as a result, lost her baby.

Oh, and here is the clincher! When the customers were told they would have to leave the store so investigators and ER personnel could assess the scene they had riots in the store because the customers wanted their "free items" and "early bird" specials. I mean, duh! They freakin' trampled the man to death to get in and be the first to have the free door prizes! They "should" be allowed to get them! I mean, it's all in the name of the game, right?!

NOT! Crazy shopping IDIOTS! What are people thinking!?!? I've said it before and I'll say it again, I never go shopping on black Friday. It's not an elitist thing. It's that I don't have to find great deals on mainly crap that I don't need, and I don't have to spend money to celebrate Christmas. Good grief!

Consumerism is SO not worth losing your life over...literally and figuratively. Sheesh! Whatever happened to "Here are some homemade goodies. Merry Christmas and I love you!" ????? It's turned into a season of the bbd(bigger, better deal) even if it costs your life or someone else's. There is my beef for the week.

9 comments:

Sara Hadlow said...

This is why I stay home on Black Friday. I'm not going to risk my life to save a buck or two.

Corless Family said...

we tried the sales once and decided that our dignity was worth full price. That is also why I get most if not all my shopping done before Thanksgiving. This year I got it all done. What an insane world!

Debbie said...

No kidding. I completely agree. I love your background. SO cute. Hey when are you due? Do you know what you are having? Congrats!

The Hubler Fam! said...

I'm right there with you Lacey. When I heard this story, I was shocked. Talk about "door buster deals". So not worth it. Michael used to go, just to yell at stupid people, and when he saw people stealthily trying to cut in line, he would call them out loudly and humiliate them....everyone else in line would applaud. He would come home empty handed, having bought nothing. But the adventure was what he was looking for. Silly, I know! But yeah, I stay FAR AWAY from Black Friday. It is not worth the stress. That is not what Christmas was made for.

Heather said...

SERIOUSLY! that was RIDICULOUS! i can NOT believe people! it is soo outrageous that people would be soo careless of other HUMAN lives.. it makes me soo sad. i am right there with you! i don't shop on that day either... not worth it! it really IS NOT!

SOO SOO sad about all the injuries and the deaths.

Debbie said...

Okay, I did go shopping on black Friday about 20 years ago when there was a toy that was the hot commodity that year. Can I remember what it was? NO (one of the cool transformers) Do I remember the shoppers running down the isle? YES. Did I run down the isle? YES. Did I get the toy? NO. There were only 3 on the shelf and the rest of us took rain checks. But hey, it got us in the store DUH! I have never gone since NOR WILL I GO AGAIN. It has become a holiday to spend money and acrue debt. Love ya

Mandy said...

That is so depressing.

Maggie said...

Hadnt heard that one yet... it just reaffirms to me that the world has lost all sense of dignity and respect... but hey that have a big screen LCD TV!

Angie said...

Hey Lac...can you email me your address so I can send your Christmas card? Thanks! Hope you are doing well and feeling great! Love ya! Angie

This music isn't here just to listen to, it's to be lived and loved, so sit back and enjoy the sound


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS - Some momentarily, some forever.

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS - Some momentarily, some forever.
Can it get any better than love AND chocolate?

Pretty much the most talented/overlooked actor!

A dramatic, true story of a piano prodigy, music and love

Best animated kids movie so far!

must see the whole series...MUST

Best "princess" story...and FUNNY!

Thumbs down to Tom, but I love this oldie.

Nazi regime, rebellion, music. If you haven't experienced it, you haven't lived!

4th from the left, 1st one on the right..*sigh*

Say what?! You don't know about Led Zeppelin...yer crazeh!

The most inspiring musician, Rachmaninov

MUSE, MUSE, and more MUSE! I dare you to experience them.

Winger's! Best wings on the planet.

SUSHI! Everyone must try sushi. Pregnant women all over Asia eat Sushi and their babies are fine! That's what I told my OB/Gyn. She just said "Ohhhkayyy" and rolled her eyes.