Mar 6, 2008

Heimlich Maneuver

To set the scene: Sunday started off as usual...got up, got myself ready for church, got Coleman ready, Chris got ready, we all were ready....and then headed to church. Sacrament meeting is first, so we found ourselves a little pew a few rows from the back and nestled in. Chris and I were both thinking this would be the one sunday of few interruptions by Coleman, and we might make it through sacrament without an outburst or injury from the Coleman-buddy. The sacrament bread had just passed our row and Coleman was acting very well, eating his little corn-puff-baby-food thingys. As he was on my lap I heard him screech a little bit, then sucked in air, but never breathed out. I flipped him around and his face was beet red and little tears were coming out of his eyes, but he wasn't breathing. I found myself freaking out with terror trying to give him the 'ol "adult" style Heimlich. Chris stood up and yelled "He's choking!!! He's choking!!!" Coleman was still not breathing and my feeble attempt to dislodge the cereal wasn't working. Then we heard from behind us, "Here, give him to me!!!" Gabe, a dentist in our ward was running up the isle, and like a ninja, grabbed Coleman, flung him upside down, face forward and popped him on the back with what seemed like one good karate chop! The cereal came flying out of his mouth, followed by vomit. He started crying hysterically! Chris and I both grabbed Coleman and ran out of the meeting. (The deacons had no idea what was going on and were still proceeding with the sacrament even though the bishop was signaling them to stop, funny boys). We sat in the foyer and thanked Gabe who came out with us. He joked about how he had just re-certified in CPR and other first aid a few days earlier. GOOD THING!!! In the panic of the moment I had completely forgotten about the infant heimlich maneuver! Countless members came into the foyer to check on us, and to assure us that there was nothing to be emberassed about, but we weren't about to go back into the meeting. We just had a normal, fussy, noisy, chasing Coleman everywhere, sunday! We love him and are happy to have those days!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

O my heck! That is scary. Little turds trying to give us heart attacks! The timing seemed to top it all off too! I am glad all is well. By the way your blog looks sweet. Do you have a link to do it?

The Hubler Fam! said...

That is nuts guys. Seriously, I was out taking my Leah to the potty, and missed all the excitement. Certainly a blessing that Gabe was there, he was trained, and did exactly what Coleman needed.
I am so glad he is okay. And this obviously hasn't scared him away from eating, so I think he'll be no worse for wear!

This music isn't here just to listen to, it's to be lived and loved, so sit back and enjoy the sound


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS - Some momentarily, some forever.

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS - Some momentarily, some forever.
Can it get any better than love AND chocolate?

Pretty much the most talented/overlooked actor!

A dramatic, true story of a piano prodigy, music and love

Best animated kids movie so far!

must see the whole series...MUST

Best "princess" story...and FUNNY!

Thumbs down to Tom, but I love this oldie.

Nazi regime, rebellion, music. If you haven't experienced it, you haven't lived!

4th from the left, 1st one on the right..*sigh*

Say what?! You don't know about Led Zeppelin...yer crazeh!

The most inspiring musician, Rachmaninov

MUSE, MUSE, and more MUSE! I dare you to experience them.

Winger's! Best wings on the planet.

SUSHI! Everyone must try sushi. Pregnant women all over Asia eat Sushi and their babies are fine! That's what I told my OB/Gyn. She just said "Ohhhkayyy" and rolled her eyes.