Apr 17, 2008

We are mothers

Let's say it together! We are mothers! In this day and age can we afford to be anything else? I am a huge fan of the Today Show, especially Ann Curry. This in NO WAY is to offend her or any others like her, but...with that disclaimer, let me write! After my day today, I was thinking about an episode of the Today Show I saw a while back. Ann Curry was being praised for how amazing she was for keeping up with such a crazy schedule. She had the Today Show to do, so her day started at 4 am with wardrobe and makeup, after the Today Show she was off to some other local station (primped by wardrobe and makeup), then back to the NBC station for the filming of part of the nightly news, then right after, off to another breaking news story, then back to the nightly news to get an interview in before the live show started (preceeded by wardrobe and makeup). Then, her day ended at 11pm. She had a couple of coffees and some late-mocha-fraps in there, and possibly a bagel or something. During this episode the Today Show crew was following her around filming this "crazy" ordeal. They all stated how amazing she was, being a mother and a career woman; being able to juggle with ease both "jobs" and being such a trooper about it. Uhm, I didn't see her tend to the needs of her children, take a phone call from them, change a poopy diaper, wipe a tear, ease a cough, do a carpool, wipe stains out of her carpet, clothes, linens, help with homework, talk to her spouse, play a game, tell a story, swing at the park, give a bath, etc...etc...etc... Would I do the same for a high six figure, combined salary with my husband? That kind of question is only asked by the world. There is a saying that says "anyone can be a father but it takes someone special to be a daddy." Could the same be said for mothers!? They put SO much emphasis on Ann being such a great mother because she could actually juggle a whole day's work (which continues day-in and day-out) along with a family. I didn't see any juggling. I do love Ann Curry. This isn't about her, really, but about the emphasis that the world is putting on being the "IT" and "ALL" mom. We are mothers. That should be plenty! It holds so much weight of it's own. We should never feel like we are not super-moms or worthy of this same praise just because we don't "juggle." We have the future to tend to and raise up, literally! It would have been nice to see the emphasis be on her as a mother. So, while it's okay for Ann to do what she does, and for all of you mothers to do what you do, just remember, we are mothers and I wish the Today Show would have filmed that!

5 comments:

The Texas Links said...

Amen! Aren't we blessed, though, Lacey--to know that we only need to be mothers. That we see the importance of raising our children in the way that we know is right and we know that it takes time and effort. Ann Curry will look back on her life--she won't say "wow, I'm so glad I spent all that time interviewing the presidential candidates". She'll say "I wish I had been a better mom. I wish I could've seen my kids grow up". Aren't we lucky to be able to be at home. We ARE mother's and we're proud to be. Wouldn't trade it for the world!
Love you Lace!

The Texas Links said...

Me again. I was looking at your music list. I didn't know you were a Tori Amos fan. Cool!

Mandy said...

What can I say... I don't have anything to add. I always appreciate your insight; you are a good woman who knows what is important.

The Hubler Fam! said...

THANK YOU! If they filmed Ann being a "mom" I doubt there would be much footage worth viewing between 11pm and 4am. Other than her sneaking in to kiss her kids goodnight. Maybe more on the weekends.

Martinson Family said...

Amen to that! You said it all Lacey. I agree with you 100%. Mothers rarely get any recognition for what they do...especially since we are behind the scenes making everything flow and work.

Rachel

This music isn't here just to listen to, it's to be lived and loved, so sit back and enjoy the sound


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS - Some momentarily, some forever.

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS - Some momentarily, some forever.
Can it get any better than love AND chocolate?

Pretty much the most talented/overlooked actor!

A dramatic, true story of a piano prodigy, music and love

Best animated kids movie so far!

must see the whole series...MUST

Best "princess" story...and FUNNY!

Thumbs down to Tom, but I love this oldie.

Nazi regime, rebellion, music. If you haven't experienced it, you haven't lived!

4th from the left, 1st one on the right..*sigh*

Say what?! You don't know about Led Zeppelin...yer crazeh!

The most inspiring musician, Rachmaninov

MUSE, MUSE, and more MUSE! I dare you to experience them.

Winger's! Best wings on the planet.

SUSHI! Everyone must try sushi. Pregnant women all over Asia eat Sushi and their babies are fine! That's what I told my OB/Gyn. She just said "Ohhhkayyy" and rolled her eyes.