Jul 13, 2008

Twirling

DO you ever have those days where you feel like your life is just twirling? Like, you don't hear conversations going on around you, you're all twirling inside with frustrations over this or that? There are some days of the week (more than not) that I feel like I'm twirling. I'm sure this is induced from stress of being a mom to a rambunctious 17 month old boy.

I have learned that no matter how much discipline Chris and I give Coleman, he's still going to follow through on his boyish impulses and smack some other little kid in the face, throw toys, throw food, or bite me on the shoulder as he's cuddling with me. As Chris likes to say, as he's reassuring me that I'm not a complete failure of a mom, "We are not doing anything wrong! He's going to learn over time and with experience about behavior. Kids don't just "know" behavior." Today, for instance, little nursery children were being shuffled single file across the hall to another room. Coleman, being in close proximity to the children, (he plays with a toy kitchen set that's always in the hall near nursery) proceeds to run and body slam an older, but helpless, little boy. That little boy got up before I could run and help. He growled at Coleman. Then they were joined by another boy and a few girls in a riot over the kitchen set. Yup. An all out freak out session. There was no more single file. No more folded arms. And Coleman was beyond reproach. He clung to the kitchen set with his life! The other children were quickly shuffled to the classroom and I was left in the hall with my head twirling over the behavior of my son. My emotions had had it! A few moments later we were headed back to the kitchen set, only to see the nursery door open. Coleman hurried to the room and...I saw it coming...he smacked a little girl right in the face! I grabbed him, and sternly gave him the verbal reprimand of a lifetime. He continued to cry until church was over because of one thing or another. I was twirling inside and Coleman was tired, ornery, and in trouble!

There is no time to stop when you're a parent. No breathers, no kick-your-legs-up moments. It's like you have to constantly be on guard. You do the best you can day in and day out, but sometimes it just feels futile! I wonder if my child will ever learn to control his impulses. My advice to myself is...don't give him time to do those things. Keep him busy. Keep him occupied and happy. I have to say that it does work...most of the time! When we are twirling in playtime with each other, running outside after a ball, or playing with cars I notice a happier and less agressive boy. He even seems to communicate with me better. We twirl to music all the time and he laughs out loud. It's great. Although hard and exhausting, the busy moments make being a mom worth it to me, because I see my son happy and carefree. And sorry to all the moms whose children Coleman may body slam or bite in the future. *Shrug* It's not because he's malicious, or because I lack parenting skills (I hope). We're all just learning and twirling in this parenting bubble.

4 comments:

Jackson's FARM'N family said...

so its 11:15 and Mya seems to sleep like a rock all day but somehow knows the exact moment it is time for mom to get some sleep for the night. And yes that is why im up reading about cole buddy well past my bed time. Thanks for the entertaining update into the life of my hero mom and sister lacey!

Mandy said...

I agree that having a plan does help focus their energy. When Zac was younger and Jenna too, it was imperative that we have a plan for the day or the day would be harder. I started to make a plan. Music time, outside time, blocks time, snack time, pretend play time, luch time, nap time, out door time again...etc. It is exhausting, but such a better day.
I have found that the days when we just are here at home without any direction there is more yelling and naughtiness...but when I get up and decided we are going to do A, B and C, then it's a better day.
I have noticed that as they get a bit older there comes some kick up your legs moments. Jenna is almost 5, and she is so much more self- sufficent and requires less intervening. Know that Coleman is at a difficult age. I have thought or a while that 15 months to 3 1/2 is my most difficult age...so far. You are doiing everything right. For starters, you care and notice. You are consistant and you love him. Hang in there. We were in Indiana when Zac was that age, I remember crying at church on occasion. It's hard. We want them to be good, and often wonder why the heck is my kid the wild man and hers is so mild?
I don't know, Zac just broke all of Jenna's crayons since I've been typing you...

Love ya..just read your commnet to me from my last post.

Maggie said...

I want you to take some of that Coleman spunk and put it in a pill so i can give it to Billy! I do enjoy his mild manner but in social situations it is not serving him well!!

And for the record i think you're a wonderful mother....

Glenn Amber Evans said...

Congrats Lacy!! You'll have to keep me posted!!!

This music isn't here just to listen to, it's to be lived and loved, so sit back and enjoy the sound


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS - Some momentarily, some forever.

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS - Some momentarily, some forever.
Can it get any better than love AND chocolate?

Pretty much the most talented/overlooked actor!

A dramatic, true story of a piano prodigy, music and love

Best animated kids movie so far!

must see the whole series...MUST

Best "princess" story...and FUNNY!

Thumbs down to Tom, but I love this oldie.

Nazi regime, rebellion, music. If you haven't experienced it, you haven't lived!

4th from the left, 1st one on the right..*sigh*

Say what?! You don't know about Led Zeppelin...yer crazeh!

The most inspiring musician, Rachmaninov

MUSE, MUSE, and more MUSE! I dare you to experience them.

Winger's! Best wings on the planet.

SUSHI! Everyone must try sushi. Pregnant women all over Asia eat Sushi and their babies are fine! That's what I told my OB/Gyn. She just said "Ohhhkayyy" and rolled her eyes.